Friday is the 100e Joe Biden’s tenure day. Traditionally, this period of presidency involves a media discussion on honeymoons, mandates, and ambitious programs, but also of booming scandals this threaten to dampen the momentum of the new administration. Biden, however, has kept his scandal quotient close to zero by refusing to address topics other than his popular COVID and economic relief initiatives. While genuine hiccups have occurred, they have been outnumbered by bogus controversies ineffectively sparked by Republicans desperate to gain traction against a president who appeals to many Americans. because they don’t need to pay attention to what he does every day. We’ve listed them all here, in order, most to least legitimately suggesting presidential dishonesty and / or incompetence. And yes, the hamburger thing is the last.
• The refugee cap. On April 16, the administration announced that it would not increase Donald Trump’s historically low annual refugee admissions ceiling, although Biden has promised to do so on several occasions during the 2020 campaign. C ‘was a moral and political error, the enormity of which was immediately revealed when it was openly criticized by virtually every other elected Democrat, including centrist-minded figures like Illinois Senator Dick Durbin. Biden appears to have reasoned that increasing Trump’s xenophobic refugee limit would draw attention to the unrelated blame he takes for an increase in undocumented border crossings between Mexico and the United States that began in 2020 – blame which, while dubious, is understood by poll watchers as something. this could weaken its reputation with some swing voters. But everyone in the party except Biden appeared to believe that breaking an election promise in order to endorse Trump’s intentionally hostile immigrant policy was both bad governance and bad policy, and, after a few hours, the administration called off his overthrow.
• Hunter Biden’s Garbage Gun. In March, Politico reported on a 2018 incident in which a gun belonging to Biden’s son Hunter was briefly lost in the trash outside a Delaware grocery store after Hallie Biden – Hunter’s sister-in-law, the widow of his late brother Beau – took the gun from Hunter and tried to dispose of it there. (It was eventually found by a man who was collecting recyclables.) Anonymous sources told the publication that while the gun was still missing, Secret Service agents attempted to take possession of the documents from the store. weapons that documented Hunter’s initial purchase of the weapon. (The gothic slapstick of it all was undermined by news that, according to a police report, Hunter believes Hallie confiscated the gun for fear he could get hurt.) Despite a visibly credible abuse of power allegation. – the idea is that the Secret Service might have tried to take the paperwork to prevent Hunter from being linked to the then missing weapon if it ended up being used in a crime – this story did not develop further , perhaps because Republicans spent so much time crying wolf about the Hunter Biden stories before and during the 2020 campaign. GOP members of Congress are, nonetheless, try to keep it in the news.
• Nasty tweets from Neera Tanden. Yes, we’re on the third of those and we’re already using the phrase “nasty tweets” – it’s been three crazy months! But it’s actually a scandal, or at least a misstep, by historic standards, the appointment of future Bureau of Management and Budget director Neera Tanden was withdrawn because some Senate Republicans were upset that she had ever used Twitter to describe them with vicious slurs and graphics like “the worst” and “Voldemort”. “
• TJ Ducklo. This one isn’t funny even in a Veep sort of, but ranks below Tanden due to the seriousness of one person’s involvement namely TJ Ducklo, a deputy press secretary who resigned after Vanity Fair reported that he threatened to “Destroy” a Politico reporter who was working on a story he didn’t like; Ducklo also told the reporter that he believed she was jealous of him for some reason involving a different man who was not interested in having sex with her (the reporter). Very convoluted, but definitely unsuitable for the workplace! He’s gone now.
• Management of retirement homes by Andrew Cuomo. New York Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been established to remove unflattering data that revealed how much COVID-19 had spread in nursing homes across his state in the spring of 2020. This is not not funny either; it has nothing to do with the Biden administration despite the best efforts of the right-wing media to to suggest a link.
• Major Biden. One of Joe Biden’s rescue dogs continues to bite people in the White House, get sent for training, return to the White House, and get sent for further training after biting more people. Now Jill Biden says they are will also have a cat! No! Don’t do it, Dr Jill Biden!
• Lack of respect for the Space Force. In early February, two members of the Republican Congress made scandalized statements accusing White House spokeswoman Jen Psaki of being too casual in answering a question about the military wing of the Trump-founded “Space Force” during a briefing. His attitude, GOP members said, manifested a disturbing indifference to the upper atmosphere threat presented by China, a warning that proved too prescient this week, when DC was destroyed by Chinese UFO lasers.
• Cancellation of Dr. Seuss. In early March, Biden issued a proclamation on Read Across America day that broken with the previous one by not specifically mentioning Dr. Seuss. This coincided with the decision of Dr Seuss Enterprises to stop publishing six Seuss books, none of which was among his best known, as they contain anachronistic and racist images. In the right-wing narrative, this became an attempt by Biden, and social justice Democrats in general, to erase Dr. Seuss from history, to which some conservatives responded by demonstrating Seuss book ordering. , which, in addition to tangibly proving that Dr. Seuss’ work is still widely available, meaning that many of them now own work that celebrates anti-materialist communitarianism, environmentalism, and the rewards of trying foreign food.
• Indoctrinate Border Children with Kamala Harris’ Book. On April 24, the New York Post ran a cover story that reported that a 2019 children’s book published under the name of Vice President Kamala Harris was included in “welcome kits” for unaccompanied immigrant minors. in a shelter in Southern California. the whole base because this claim was a photo from one of the shelter books, and it it appears that it was a single copy that had been donated to a book and toy drive. Pretty bad job there, New York Post!
• If ground beef is prohibited, only outlaws will mince the beef. Biden’s climate-related proposals won’t require rationing red meat to the point that Americans will only be able to eat one burger a month, as Fox News intentionally misled a university study that had previously been intentionally mutilated by the Daily Mail. In fact, they don’t mention red meat at all. This story, you could tell, was right Red meat for the right base easily angry. Hahaha. Hahahahaha. How can the next 100 days ever get past that? What a pickle! Find? Like on a… OK.
Slate covers the stories that matter to you. Join Slate Plus to support our work. You will get an unlimited number of items and a suite of great benefits.